Sunday, April 4, 2010

Brassica


Today's outing was through the brassica fields of Japan. It was a very pretty walk, from the last station on the Keikyu line through the cabbage and turnup fields and down to the beach. It was also a much shorter walk than it seemed on the map, being only about 1km to the beach. However 1 km is more than enough to fully appreciate the smell of cabbage, and I was glad to see the beach.


This beach did not really have anything striking to it. There was a kind of dark, almost black sand, some nice rocks at one end, and some cliffs with WWII tunnels dug in them. This seems neat at first, untill you realize that absolutely ALL the hills have WWII tunnels in them. When I did the walk from Kanazawa-bunko to Oppama they had a photo expo in one. As far as I can gather they used them as plane hangars and warehouses. Best camouflage you can have, I guess.


As it was a very rural area and the few summer houses were still empty, the beachgoers were only interested in picking up seaweed. So just in an hour I got myself a nice seashell collection. And I was really lucky, as just as I was wondering what I could do with my shells I happened to look in the 'burnable' trash bin, and voilĂ ! A wonderful wooden box, of perfect size, with 2 little ribbons on the side. What could be better? Now I have myself a shell collection, to show all the people who aren't really enthousiastic about seeing my jellyfish collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment