Monday, November 22, 2010

Kanazawa - Zushi



On this overcast but not rainy Sunday I set out for a true Sunday ramble.

Starting from Kanazawa-bunko station I decided to walk to the zoo instead of taking the bus. This was not the wisest idea in the world, as I got lost and wandered in the complete opposite direction for half an hour, and then had to climb a huge hill just to get to the zoo gate. Next time I will take the bus, as it's no fun having to make a pause before you even get to the hiking course.

I had in mind to take the hiking course towards Kamakura, and look for a shortcut down to Zushi, or possibly even Jimmuji station. Well if there was one I completely missed it, and ended up taking the same road as always down to Kamakura. But the hike was well worth it for all the fall colours which are comming on well. Although I can do without the ginko tree nuts...


This Sunday was a festival day where parents dress the children in traditional costume and take them to the shrines, so it was fun seeing all the cute little costumes.

From the Kamakura beach I took a new path up the hills between Kamakura and Zushi. And so it was quite a suprise to see the beach at Zushi, black with people and with loudspeakers. And it was even more puzzling to see the total absence of regatta or surfboard competition.
So, intrigued, I went off to investigate!


And to my wonder and suprise, I found an equestrian archery event in full swing! There were about 6 horses, all with colours and ribbons, and 10 riders. There were extremely smooth, and their costumes were excellent! They also had a panel of judges, in traditional court dresses, and all the helpers were wearing what I assume were traditional groom clothes. Even the starting signal was traditional, as they had a young boy at each end of the track who would turn the red-with-a-gold-circle side of their huge fan to the gold-with-a-red-circle side.
I had read that there archery contests happen now and then, but was very happy to have been able to see that one, and you couldn't have had a more beautiful backdrop as Sagami Bay!

No comments:

Post a Comment