Friday, December 24, 2010

Hobart



A good japanese farewell, with a whole plateful of Mochi (sticky rice-based something), and a magnificent view of Mt Fuji leaving Yokohama on the airport bus. I will just mention here that the plate of Mochi was for the whole house, not just for me!


I arrived fine in Hobart.
Both planes were late, but no big problems.
You have to declare all food products when entering Australia, so had to open my bag at customs. and then explain that my boots were for purely marine use (freshwater equipment is also quarantined). And of course, once everything has spilled out, it won't fit back in, will it...
But I made do, as the Gold Coast is a hot and humid place, and I had no intentions of being stuck there! Will a bag full of warm socks and sweaters, I'm not well adapted for temperatures above 20...
Outside Gold Coast airport

Everyone here is super friendly, although a bit hard to understand...
Luckily I came in on a french passport, so don't feel too bad.
The hostel is relly nice, right in the center of town. Should be silent tonight, but with bunches of folks arriving tomorrow.

Tip top of Tasmania.

It's super sunny here, and quite warm. But nicer than the hot and misty that there was in Gold Coast.
I've wandered around a bit this afternoon, but it will be an early night for me. Tomorrow is Christmas, so most things are closed. I will wander along the port and then go to a botanical garden not too far away. Then nothing special on Sunday. And then on Monday, I signed up for a big tour, with 2 different water falls, Wellington mountain and a Tasmanian devil park. It was quite expensive, but there's not much choice when you don't have a car.

Shall have fun for sure.

Have a very Merry Christmas!!

And a special photo for Uncle John and Patty, to show I STILL love ginger beer. From a local brewry, "with extra bite"!


2 comments:

  1. Ginger beer is now a staple in our pantry as we have another friend that's quite addicted to it. In fact it looks so good in the photo perhaps I'll have one myself. Cheers!
    Patty & John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger beer!
    Ginger beer!
    It's even better when it's ice cold! You should bring some of them in Antartica.
    Be careful with "The Thing" out there.

    C U
    Ben

    Ps: Isa sends you kisses

    ReplyDelete