Saturday, April 16, 2011

bicycle


Well, out of all the things I had planned to do while in Japan, I have done one!

And that was to buy a bicycle!

So here is a photo of my new baby. A nice yellowish orange, so I can find it easily, a big basket, and a carry thing in the back. A chain cover and skirt wheel cover thing. A wheel lamp in the front, and reflector in the back. And a lock. And a bell. All a person could ever want, and more! Well, being a bit taller is something some people could want, but I spent many years in France on a great 3/4 size bike, so size is nothing to worry about. (When much much younger, I spent many years on a little pink bicycle so small my knees touched the handle bars, but I wouldn't want to actually BUY a bicycle that small!!)


And to try out this new bike, well first off I had to come back from Kanazawa-hakkei, which is where I bought it. I was a bit unsure, and a bit swervy at first, but am making progress. You never forget how to ride a bike they say, but changing bicycles sure makes a huge difference. You have to set up straight and everything on this one!

On the way, I went by the barbecue park I had gone to last year with the guided tour.
And then, as it's an absolutely fantastic day today, I just bicycled around, somewhere between the road to JAMSTEC, the road to Yokosuka, and the sea. There, I found a fabulous hill, where all the houses had vegetable gardens AND a magnificent view of a small estuary and port. And I also founf an amercican base, a dockyard, a nice little park near the estuary where I watched a very successful cormorant for a while; and a couple extremely beautiful temples. I am, however, ashamed at having forgotten my camera!!! But that just gives me a very good excuse for going back again!

And it's so easy to get around! Many streets are small enough that you can just bicycle on the edge and the few cars just go around. On bigger streets, it's considered ok to go on the sidewalks. This is not necessarily true, I've heard, especially in cities, but in Oppama it's what's done.

And tomorrow, I have every intention of packing lunch, map and water bottle, and cruising around the countryside! As an extra precaution, I will also take sun glasses and cream, as tanned is nice, but lobster red is just not my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment